cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with nested msi

Folks,

When I add an additional msi to a parent msi with existing nexted msi's I get the following error when building:

Files built
ISDEV : fatal error 0:
1627: Error saving the changes to C:\QHealth\POE Palm Core Applications\POE Palm Core Application\Release\1.01\DiskImages\DISK1\EN-POE-CORE-APPLICATIONS-PALM-1-0-1.msi

When I run Orca validation against the msi, there does not appear to be any paricular error as a result of the build error. It is hard to tell however as there are a lot of errors that seem to cause no problem. That is they are present in other msi's that install fine.

However when I install the product the install errors when the nested msi in question is installed. These are the lines from the msi log file:

MSI (s) (34:E4): Doing action: RunZfhDesktopSynchronisationInstall
Action start 16:04:46: RunZfhDesktopSynchronisationInstall.
MSI (s) (34:E4): Note: 1: 1713 2: EN-POE-CORE-APPLICATIONS-PALM-1-0-1 3: 1631
DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError
Error 1713.EN-POE-CORE-APPLICATIONS-PALM-1-0-1 cannot install one of its required products. Contact your technical support group. System Error: 1631.
MSI (s) (34:E4): Product: EN-POE-CORE-APPLICATIONS-PALM-1-0-1 -- Error 1713.EN-POE-CORE-APPLICATIONS-PALM-1-0-1 cannot install one of its required products. Contact your technical support group. System Error: 1631.

The nested msi installs without errors by itself. The parent msi with the existing nested msi's also install fine.

There is a combination here that is causing Admin Studio to herniate. Has anyone come across this?

I plan to create two msi's one with and one without the nested msi in question and compare the two.

regards

Jon
(2) Replies
After verifying that the install problem was caused by the build error I followed these steps to resolve my problem.

1. I made a copy of the project file and removed the install/uninstall of the problem msi. This project then built without error.

2. I then removed the install/uninstall of the problem msi from the original project. This still had the build error! This was a puzzle as I had previously performed the adding and removal.

3. One or more of these steps resolved my problem:
- shortening the custom action name length
- ensuring that the child msi properties matched the parent
- deleted the release and recreating (I still had a build error)
- manually removing the entry in the ISStorages table for the problem msi. This seems to have been the fix!

I have noticed this before with AdminStudio that removal of a component or other part does not get reflected through every affected table. This is a design problem in my opinion and I hope that Macrovision have/will improve this in later versions.

The other concern is how my project came to be corrupted in this way!

I would also hope that the error reporting is improved in later versions as I am sure most will agree that the fatal error message in the build was not very helpful.

Jon
Thanks for that info. That is a brilliant pickup. I was scratching my head for hours on that one! Needed to modify ISStorages table.