cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PackageForTheWeb Error during XP Login

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Full Disclosure: I do not develop applications using Installsheild products. I am a user of Window XP Home Edition and have a problem and I can't find anyplace to resolve it so I am trying here.

Whenever I login to one of my Windows XP accounts, I get a dialog box titled PackageForTheWeb Error containing the error "This program is used internally by PackageFromTheWeb. It should not be executed directly." How do I fix it? TIA.

Daddio
(5) Replies
It sounds to me like you installed something that did not complete property

There's a nice utility on http://mlin.net called "startup control panel" that lets you see all the programs that run on startup.

log in as the user with the proplem, and start the control panel and you will probably see the offending program

looeee
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I tried the utility you suggested as well as msconfig. I've tried turning everything off and it doesn't help. I then tried starting in Safe Mode, and it happens there as well. So now I'm thinking it's not caused by any installed programs but is a Windows problem. I checked for XP updates and installed all that were available hoping that by installing windows components it might flush out whatever didn't get completed earlier. But to no avail. I still get the error message. Isn't there a Windows startup log I can look through for errors? Or does InstallShield have a log I can look through? Thanks for your help.
Daddio
One thing left to check

I'm sure you've looked, but is there anything in the user's startup folder on the start menu?

looeee
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the ideas. It's not in Startup. I tried Safe Mode which does basically nothing except the minimum set of drivers. My next step it to reinstall all the drivers.
Daddio
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm running windows 98 and get the same error message.

This program is used internally by PackageFromTheWeb. It should not be executed directly.

I have been getting this message for two years!!!!!!!!!! It's driving me crazy. Did you ever find a fix?