cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question! .NET & MSI

.NET not installed on clean machine.
Captured application(SDD) on clean machine. (Monitored and Snapshot)
SDD install asked to install .NET (assumption: included in EXE package of SDD)
Created the .IRP. Opened and rebuilt to .MSI package. Hidden all dialogs. Verified ICE standards. Tested the install. Ready to finalize package.
Do I need to include .NET module (in .MSI)/(with .MSI)??
If so, 'Release Wizard' menu item greyed out.
How do I rebuild with new included module?
Is .NET required for MSI packages to install? (I don't remember hearing YES)

Thank you for your patience.

(I think I need to get a traning book!) crash course style
(3) Replies
I do believe that the .NET framework is seperate (duh!). It does not get embedded in the MSI, but is a stand-alone addition and only packaged as a single file when choosing to create an EXE (with appropriate options checked).

If wrong, pls yell at me.
hi,
just to confirm, the .net framework is separate indeed.
well , you could put it in the binary table and kick it off via a custom action, but i wouldn't recommend that.

however, the .net framework is only required if you are installing a .net software and you have options to include it in the release if you are working with the ism project (not the .msi). It can even be downloaded to save some disk space.

btw, Installshield training is probably a good idea.
Marco
Rather than capturing the .NET install and trying to make your own MSI, download the redistributable from Microsoft. You can right-click the redistributable .EXE file and peek inside using Winzip, then extract the .msi and .cab you see inside.

If you use those to distribute it'll be a lot more reliable than making your own MSI from scratch.