cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying Folder Permissions for Repackaged MSI

I'm attempthing, via the built in Installshield 10.50 pro that comes with Admin Studio 6, to modify thefolder permissions on a folder to include our DomainName\Domain Users with modify permissions. However when I run the MSI against a Virtual Machine, it does not add the permissions to the target folder. Any thoughts? Do I need to inlude some specific formating around how I enter the domain and user(group)?
(2) Replies
Well, first of all you should set the permissions at component level, from the Setup design view, or at file level. To decide what component you should set the permissions on, you have to find out what component the first file that is copied to the folder you want to ACL belongs to. Quite often it's a component named something like "CreateFolder_xxxxxx" or "Folder_xxxxxx". Check the file table to decide the file copy order and what component a file belongs to.

In general it's best to set permissions to the builtin groups, i.e. "BuiltIn\Users", BuiltIn\Administrators", "NT Authority\System", etc, and not to domain groups. If you set permissions to domain groups, the package will only work in that domain (but maybe that's what you want). If you use the builtin groups, you should type the text in to the user column only. Leave the domain column empty.

Use filemon and regmon from sysinternals to track down what files and folders you should set perms on.

One last thing to have in mind when working with permissions; be aware that the ACL’s are replaced, not edited. So don't forget to give perms to the administrators group and system account.
In my experience, it works better when you enter property names into the permissions dialog, [LOCKDOMAIN] [LOCKUSER] and set those values in the property table.

MSI help says that you can only enter built in users into the table. "To get any other domain requires using a custom action." I'm not convinced that a custom action is necessary but properties work for me.

looeee
Top Kudoed Authors