cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI Edits Need some clarification

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Where do i make the edits for "additional servers" This is a field that i can find in TUNER but if I am to make a "template" i need to know where this field is in the MSI package itself. Maybe I have been to general in my quesitons.

I have about 20 servers that I need to enter as "Additional Servers." These servers are distribution servers for media that are installed through a web interface. The format of the paths that I am entering are \\servername\sharename\appname\version\os\package. The variables for APPNAME, VERSION, and OS will change based on the respective app. I would like to "automate" the entering of this information into the installs as the servers and sharename are static. I am assuming the best way to do this is through the package. Is there anyway to "pickup" the APPNAME,VERSION,and OS from a table or field and insert it into the MSI package.

The second problem that I had which I believe you have resolved is that I can enter in my "Compay Name" etc... into the .tpl and create a standard template that contains all of that information. Do you have any code that works in this scenario? Or anything that could push me in the right direction. This is really important for me as I literally have thousands of apps to do and it would save a great deal of time for my team.

Thanks I know that this is a tuff one. I also really appreciate your timely response and patience. I'm usually tech support not the one providing it so I know how frustrating this can be. I thank you for your time and attention in this matter.
(5) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Have you tried just using the SOURCELIST property and setting the list of servers on the commandline? This is where the serverlist is used, it isn't in any MSI table.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I dont know the commands...sadly i am a networking guy that got reassigned. This is all new for me
You can add the SOURCELIST property to the Property table of your MSI database, which is exposed as the Property Manager view in InstallShield Developer.

As an advanced technique, you can modify tables of a Developer project (ISM file) or MSI database using Automation; the Developer help has some examples...
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can you tell me exactly what i need to search for in the HELP menu...the help tool is not very intuitive for me
In the Developer help library, it's the section "Advanced Features > Automation Interface".

There are also several examples in the InstallShield newsletter tip archive: http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/details.asp, in the Developer section.