Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library of how-to

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello everybody

I'm currently busy making .msi packaged of various legacy software - mostly standard software: MS Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Winzip, various other older MS applications, and utilities. While creating these packages, I try to document the process I use for each package, so that I (or a colleague) might someday repeat or improve on the process (one never knows when a speeding bus is going to run one down).

It just occured to me that many others must have done that excat same thing many many times before. But wait! Why aren't there a library of "I-repackaged-this-or-that-application-this-or-that-way-and-solved-several-difficulties-like-this" documents ? Or is there ? I only know of community sites like this one, or very general sites like www.appdeploy.com ... Have I been blind, or hasn't anybody thought of this before ?

-
Jakob
Repackager Newbie
Copenhagen, Denmark
(4) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Jagoop,

I've also often wondered why no-one particularly likes sharing info on repackaging or msi installs, but haven't ever come up with a good reason.

Comprehensively done, it would be a brilliant idea for a site. I'd definitely subscribe!
Jakob,

Thank you for your suggestion, I went ahead and passed your suggestion over to our documentation writers.

Of course, forum users here are welcome to post messages with information about their experiences with AdminStudio, and give their ideas as to best practices in packaging software.

Again, thank you for your feedback.
A library of individual approaches to repackaging certain apps is a great idea. Posting the actual apps would create licensing issues, but it's helpful to know what repackaging issues others have found when dealing with these apps.

Do the "What I found when I repackaged (app)" accounts deserve their own IS Community? Or, is it more convenient to find them here among other AdminStudio-related issues? What do you think?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Wonderfull idea! I would definitly prefer a special community for this, so you can find it more quickly...