cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install / Share / Run Repackager Where?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
AdminStudio docs have three different instructions on how to properly install, share, and run the Repackager:

1. The Evaluator's Guide says to share the Repackager folder on the machine where AdminStudio is installed, and then on a clean machine or VM, connect to the Repackager share and run ISLC.EXE.

2. The AdminStudio Help Tutorial says to download a standalone Repackager, install it on a separate machine that does not have AdminStudio installed, share that Repackager folder, and then on a clean machine or VM, connect to the non-AdminStudio Repackager share and run ISLC.EXE.

3. The Tips and Tricks portion of the ReadMe page on this website says that "Repackager is available as a Separate Setup - Install the Repackager separately on clean systems from the separate setup. Copy the single-executable Setup.exe file from the \Repackager directory to a CD or a network."

Which is it? #1 seems to be the easiest. Re #2, why would I want to have a "standalone" Repackager installed on a machine other than the one with AdminStudio installed? Re #3, what's better about the Remote Repackager setup.exe than simply running ISLC.EXE?
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
ISLC.exe is for editing repackager (.irp) type files, not for doing the "Snapshots"

I think that's the confusion.

You want to copy/execute the isrepacker.exe on the standalone machine. You can also install it on the standalone machine, but I never install it...I just map a drive to where ISREPACKER.EXE is on my adminstudio machine, and execute it from the mapped network drive.

When you are done with your snapshots... then you go back to your Adminstudio machine and run ISLC.exe to EDIT your files.... You don't want to run ISLC.exe from the standalone machine.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Adding your response to the list, now I have four different guidelines for capturing a legacy install pending repackaging.

When you say 'isrepacker.exe' I assume you mean 'isrepackager.exe.'

I'm sure all of these different methods work. But it seems to me that people evaluating AdminStudio or using it for the first time would be better served with guidelines that describe ONE method, preferably the best--even when that requires a network and a physical clean machine separate from the one hosting AdminStudio itself.

Can someone explain to me why I would ever want to use the "Remote Repackager" setup.exe?
To clarify:
1 You will always use isrepackager.exe to launch the repackaging wizard and do repackaging no matter what. How do you access it, its up to you. (whether share it or install standalone repackager depending on your corporate needs/restrictions to keep machine baselines clean and free)
2 islc.exe is a repackager IDE. You can access isrepackager.exe( repackager wizard) from repackager IDE by clicking on Tools menus.
3 Some of the machine like NT (with some old service pack) did'nt have the updated msvrt.dll (C run time dll). This remote setup updates the machine with msvcrt.dll and creates a shortcut to repackager wizard on Start | Program Menu | so that repackager wizard can be launched and run.

Hope that clears up