Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To extract the .msi file from a setup.exe

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hy there,

if a .msi file is packed in an setup.exe how do I extract the .msi file for transforms ?

Regards
(5) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I do not know which tool built your self-extracting Setup program and so, I will have to provide a general response.

Most programs of this nature extract the package file (.msi) into the TEMP directory. This behavior is the default behavior of InstallShield Developer (i.e. Author within AdminStudio). This behavior can be overridden with a specific directory in Developer normally by selecting 'Advanced Settings' in the 'Release' wizard.

Without additional information, I would recommend that you simply launch the setup and once the first MSI dialog is displayed, you can examine your TEMP directory for a newly created sub-directory or MSI file.

Allen Saxton
InstallShield Development
Hi guys, do you know how to extract files from a macrovision InstallShield (setup.exe)?

Or do you guys know were the startup files (.exe) for games are, like FEAR
i wanna know were the file is located on the dvd (the file that launches fear after installation)
Sometimes /c works, e.g., setup.exe /c
Never mind, but do you guys know how to change apparance of a setup that i've created whit "Advanced Installer"?
Launch your setup.exe and let it get to the point where the progress bar is up and moving.
At that point , go to your C:\Documents and settings\{user name}\Local settings\Temp folder.
You'll find your .msi in there.
Copy it out, then abort your setup.