cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asanford
Level 4

x64 installation

I have Installshield 2011 Limited Edition. Where do I mark a given installation as 64bit or 32bit?

Some of the discussions imply that ISLE doesn't support x64 installations. This can't be true, right? This was a single-click change (set the TargetPlatform to x64) in the Visual Studio setup projects that ISLE is replacing. The ISLE help file has a whole section on "Windows Installer on 64-bit Operating Systems", and it discusses setting the "Template Summary" property, but it does not tell you how to do it.

Thanks
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Madusree
Level 7

Hello Asanford,

Could you kindly check on the below link as the issue is addressed in mentioned the thread.

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=195299&highlight=x64

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
asanford
Level 4

Hi, Madusree,

Thank you very much for your response.

I am extremely disappointed that ISLE 2011 does not support creating installers for 64 bit platforms. While that may make sense from Flexera's business perspective, it leaves Visual Studio 2010 users in a troubling position, where now the only tool that comes with VS2010 that supports creating 64 bit installers (Visual Studio setup & deployment projects) Microsoft cautions users will not exist in future VS versions, and they say ISLE "replaces" such projects in VS2010.

This is all very concerning because as you probably know, 2008R2 and future winservers will only be available in x64, no 32bit. While they do support Wow64, it hardly seems wise, if they want developers to support their new OS's natively, to remove support for tools that support such things.
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

HI,

We do understand your concern and We try constantly to keep our product in sync with Microsoft standards. Our project management Team might consider these for future releases of ISLE.

Please note, InstallShield professional and premier versions does support creating 64 bit installers.

Regards,
Madusree
0 Kudos