cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaufmann1
Level 3

TFS2010: -7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized

Hi out there,

I'm running into the same problem. An automated TFS build runs quite well until it complains about the not initialized product license "-7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized".

I've Installed VisualStudio 2010 on my Team Foundation Server 2010 machine. Then I installed InstallShield LE 2011 on the TFS machine, too. I've activated the product within VisualStudio. Unfortunately InstallShield seems to be not licensed when triggered by the build agent of TFS.

What can I do here?

Best regards
Lars
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly check the account under which the build service on the build box is running under.

Could you kindly try switching to a domain account or an account with admin privileges and check if the same issue persists?

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
kaufmann1
Level 3

Hi Lenwin

Our build agent is running under an own domain account. I've put this account into the local administrators group. After restarting the build services the build succeeded.

The build agent seems to need administrative privileges for building IS projects. I don't want the build service running with administrative rights but might work as a temporary solution.

Best regards
Lars
0 Kudos
asanford
Level 4

we have the same problem ("The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized") errors with TFS build and ISLE when build service account is not an admin. It works fine if this account is admin, but we don't want this account to have to be an admin. Is there an ETA for a fix for this security problem?
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hello ,

Could you kindly refer to the help library from Installshield Limited Edition about the topic "Launching Installshield with vs Without Administrative Privileges".

It is a known issue that occurs during Installation with Non-Administrative privileges and there is no estimated time frame for a fix.

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
asanford
Level 4

Hi, Madusree,

Thanks for your response. I just reviewed that topic in your help file. I see a list of several features that are documented not to work when running as a non-admin, but I find no mention of the reported error we've been discussing:

"-7159: The product license has expired or has not yet been initialized"

Also, as I recall, this isn't just a problem relating the installation of ISLE; rather, I recall that on our TFS machine:

1) I got the error when running as non admin build acct
2) I changed the build acct to be an admin, retstarted the build svc, and then builds worked fine
3) I then changed the bld account back to not being an admin, restarted the bld svc, and then again started getting the error

So, it seems this may be some other problem. While developers often run as admins on their machine, it is less common to run the tfs build account as an admin, and actually goes against the best practices recommended by Microsoft's TFS installation guide "...None of the accounts in this topic should belong to the Administrators security group..."
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hi,

As you have mentioned that you are encountering this Issue when running as Non-Admin Build ,this is known issue that occurs during Installation with Non-Administrative privileges.
Currently there is no estimated time frame for a fix.

We will soon document for this error and shall update you the same.

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos