cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopheOce
Level 7

write in a xml file who has been just installed !?

Hi,

I have a setup project (basic msi project) made with installshield 2008.
This setup installed some files (dll, xml, and so on..)

When the dialog is display i ask to the user a path to the license file with a special dialog.
Now, i would like to save this path in a xml file who is installed with the product !

Have you some idea or some good article for to begin with xml file and installshield !

Thanks for your help
Christophe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

I recommend reading the "Modifying XML Files" section of the InstallShield Help Library. That should get you started.

One help topic that is particularly relevant to what you'll be doing is Using Windows Installer Properties to Dynamically Modify XML Files.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I thought of one more help topic that might be somewhat helpful: The Basic MSI part of step 6 in the following help topic explains how to associate a property with a dialog control:
Using Windows Installer Properties to Dynamically Modify IIS Settings

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi DebbieL,

Thanks really thanks for your information !
xml file change is REALLY NICE you know ,easy to use easy to configure !
yesturday i've made a sample with a xml file with some node and in the xml file view i change a node with a property windows installer and it's works !
That's works in 5 minutes wonderfull !!!!!

But in my case there is a little problem !
i must to save in the xml file the language of the installation (property => ProductLanguage)

if i write this productlanguage in the xml file view i find in my xml file thie id of the language as :
1033 for en us and so on !

all right but is there a way to replace EASILY 1033 by => en-us and so on for other language !?

Thanks for your help
Christophe
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

I don't know if this constitutes "easy" or not, but you might try adding a few "set a property" CA's that have conditions based on Product language
ie, w/condition ProductLanguage="1033" set FORMATTED_LANG = "en-us"
one CA per language.
OR a scripted function that sets FORMATTED_LANG based on an if-branch or something.

Just some thoughts...
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Sairen,

Good idea but you know i have several file of configuration and if something change in one config file i must to modify all => rather borgin !

my solution perhpas take more time of develop :

1)take the property ProductLanguage
2) coding a installscript swtich who gets the property ProductLanguage
and set a other property LANGUAGE_STRING with a string as the language string

switch(szLanguageID)
case "1029" :
szLanguageString ="cs-CZ";

3) a custom action in vbscript who gets the property LANGUAGE_STRING and write in the xml file the correct language string !

I've just to try friday afternoon and that's work !!
What do you thing about my solution ?!
i m a beginner of installshield 😞

Thanks
Christophe
0 Kudos