cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manomatt
Level 8

why the Property value of a checkbox is not stored in MSI

Hi All,

Can any one tell me why the Property value of a checkbox is not stored in the cached MSI?

I am having one Basic MSI Project which has one checkBox that is having a Property value which is bydefault set to 1. After uninstallation i tried to see the cached MSI and it was not storing that Property value anywhere. So during uninstallation i tried to retrive the value of the property and it showed nothing. Can some one explain to me why this behaviour is happening ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Windows Installer does not persist most properties; the biggest exception to this is the properties that match the directories into which components are installed. If you want to persist the state of your checkbox, it's common to store the value of the associated property into a registry value and to add a system search to read it back into the same property.
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

hi thankyou, the problem that has present itself for me is that i have one msi that is already released. And in that there are 3 checkboxes and depending on whether they were selected during the installation, i need to create a registry entry, so what i was thinking was that to get the cached msi and try to get the property and depending on the property of the checkbox i can set the value. Now i am clueless , what should be the right approach here
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Well, you could look for the results of previously setting those checkboxes. Perhaps each results in some specific feature, component, file, or registry item being installed; maybe you could query that and set your checkbox's property accordingly, either through a system search or a custom action.
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

thank you Michael, i guess that is the best workaround available
0 Kudos