cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray_joslyn
Level 3

retain registry settings on un-install

I am adding some registry settings during my install. When I do an upgrade it un-installs my previous version and any registry setting that I added and then re-installs with the default registry setting. However I don't want it to remove these settings. How can I get it not to remove these settings?

Ray
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Ray,

The Registry entries which are added by Registry View cannot be stored during uninstall/Major upgrade of application. If you would have created a Registry using Custom Action then it would be retained as it would not be removed by default on uninstallation/Major Upgrade. You would have to schedule another Custom Action to remove the Registry entry.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
ray_joslyn
Level 3

Here is what I want to do. I want to add some registry keys if they do not exist. In the registry view there are options to either un-install key, install if absent or un-install if present, or automatic.

I have it set to automatic thinking it would install it if absent and not overwrite it if present, but apparently it doesn't do this.

So you are saying I shouldn't install them with the registry view, but rather as a custom action, if so how can I get it not to overwrite the keys if they exist.

Ray
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your patience.

I have checked all the Registry Flags Options and it seems that the options provided in Registry View doesn’t suit your requirement. By default the Registry Flag is always set to Automatic, in Automatic the Registry entries are installed if the feature to which they belong is installed. They are then uninstalled when that feature is removed. If a registry entry is already present on target system then the registry entries would be overwritten.

Could you kindly refer the below KB article which explains about the Registry Flags

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=InstallShield2011-IHelpRegistryFlagshtm

As mentioned earlier you would have to use Custom Action to create Registry Entries.

Please Note: In InstallShield Limited Edition, the Registry Flags available are Install only (+), Uninstall entire key (–),Install if absent, Uninstall if present (*) and Automatic. In Install Only (+), If the key does not already exist, it is created. The key is not uninstalled when the feature to which this key belongs is uninstalled. This option is available only for keys that do not contain values.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos