cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgl3317
Level 3

Install Crystal Reports for VS2010 merge module

I want to install the Crystal Reports for VS2010 merge module package as a prerequisite to my web application. I want to use the merge module package to achieve a non-GUI-based install. Since this is not an available prereq in the Limited Edition, how can I achieve this? Is it a matter of using a custom action to execute a merge tool to install the Crystal msm file? If so, could you provide me an example and/or recommendation for the best tool to use in conjunction with InstallShield?

Thank you so much. Cheers.

Brandon
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Brandon,

In InstallShield Limited Edition it is not possible to create custom Merge Module Package. Merge Module Project is included in Premier and Professional Editions of InstallShield.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
bill_voltmer
Level 2

Bharath,

Brandon said he wants to include a third-party Merge Module in his Install Shield LE project. He does not want to create his own Merge Module.

Are you saying that it is not possible to include an existing Merge Module in an Install Shield LE project?

Bill
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Bill,

Any existing Merge module could be added to your project. You could place the *.MSM file in the Merge module location.

To find Merge Module Locations: InstallShield LE –> Options –> Merge Module Options –> Merge Module Location.

Here the paths where merge modules are stored will be specified. Place the *.MSM file in one of the location’s specified. For installation projects, the Redistributables view of the InstallShield interface displays all the merge modules present in these locations.

Or else you could add a merge module into your project by browsing for the merge module file.

To browse to a merge module:

1. In the Solution Explorer under Specify Application Data, double-click Redistributables.
2. Right-click an item and click Browse for Merge Module. The Open dialog box opens.
3. Browse to the merge module file.
4. Click OK.

Please Note: In InstallShield Limited Edition it is not possible to create custom Merge Modules.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
bgl3317
Level 3

Thanks Bill for prompting that clarification.

Bharath - one last simple question about the merge modules.

I have two merge modules that are now part of my installation thanks to your last post. I need one to always run before the other, as the latter is dependent on the first. How can I set the order in which my MSM's are run? I see there is a "Dependencies" section that is locked in ISLE. Is this where I would normally accomplish this?

Brandon
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for your patience.

In InstallShield Limited Edition you would not be able to sequence the Merge Modules based on dependencies. This could be achieved while creating the Merge Module Project but unfortunately creation of customized Merge Module is not possible in InstallShield Limited Edition.

In Premier/Professional Editions of InstallShield, you could create a Merge Module Project dependent on another Merge Module.

Could you kindly refer the below KB article which explains about the same

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=installshield18helplib-IHelpMMDependencyhtm

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos