cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satyaj
Level 3

"Add Project output" question

Hi,
I am using InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio 2010 to create a setup project for a web application let's say Project1. Project1 references Project2. In the step where we add the application files, I click the "Add Project Output" button and specify "Primary Output" and "Content files" for Project1. Project1 primary output and content files are mapped to Folder1 in the install directory. Project2 Primary Output and content files are similarly mapped to Folder2 in the install location. When I install the setup, the Primary Output dll of Project2 is missing in Folder1. I would expect the Project2 dll to be present in Folder1 as it being referenced by Project1.

Please let me know of a way by which the project2 dll can be automatically added to Folder1.

Thanks
Satyaprakash J

Thanks
Satyaprakash J
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly provide us a sample project which replicates the issue you are facing so that we can investigate further.

Kindly provide us all the contents of the project found under the visual studio 2010\Projects folder.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
satyaj
Level 3

Hi,
I have created a sample solution and I have attached it with this post.

Thanks
Satyaprakash J
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Thank you for providing the sample project. I am currently looking into your project and would get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

I am currently working with my engineering team regarding this issue and would get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

InstallShield Limited Edition does not add the dependencies if they are already included in a project. In the sample project, the Project1’s primary output has been added to the folder 1. If it is removed from the project, InstallShield adds it to folder 2 as a dependency of Project2’s primary output. Engineering believes this is by design.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
eti_kagbala
Level 2

Sorry, but that statement is hard to understand. It doesn't add dependencies if they are already included in a project?
In Visual studio, if you add project output for project1 to installshield, but project1 references project2, we don't expect to have to manually add the project output of project2 to the installer project.
Previous versions of installsheild and microsoft's own installer project would automatically add these .net dependencies. Even if they are in the same solution.
Did you mean to say: it doesn't add dependencies that are already included in a solution? That would make more sense. If this is the case, can you explain the implications of the "dot net scan at build" option.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

In this scenario the user was adding the output of project1 to folder1 and output of project 2 to folder 2.The project1 was referencing project2.

After installation the Primary Output dll of Project2 was not found in folder1.

As the dependencies were already included into the project, the Primary Output dll of Project2 was not reflected in Folder1.

When the primary output of project2 is removed from folder2, InstallShield Limited Edition would add it to folder1 as a dependency of project1.

.Net scan at build

If Dependencies and Properties is the option chosen then a scan for both .NET dependencies and properties is performed. Missing dependencies and properties are added to the installation project.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos