cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger_hurst
Level 5

prerequisite issues with Vista

I have an install (MSI) with 2 prerequisites. They were being executed as expected on XP, but don't seem to be touched on Vista. Are there any such known issues?

I'm using (registry key exist) condition to test whether they should be installed. The condition is written to test for a registry key that would exist only if the prerequisite is already installed.

Any help/suggestions appreciated (ie., anyway to generate an "Execute Plan"?)

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Kevin_L
Level 5

Where should be the registry key you want to test on vista?
0 Kudos
roger_hurst
Level 5

I want the prereq feature to install SQL instance PIR. It must be in place in order for the next step MSI installation to be successful.

For "type of condition", I click "reg key does or does not exist"
For "run this pre-req", I click "if the specified reg key DOES NOT EXIST"
The reg key is: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\PIR\Providers"

This key will not exist if the SQL instance PIR has not been installed.

This works on an XP system, but not on a VISTA system.
0 Kudos
Kevin_L
Level 5

Are you sure that registry path is the same between XP and Vista?

Vista 32 or 64?
0 Kudos
roger_hurst
Level 5

It's VISTA 32.

Yes, the key paths are the same in XP and VISTA
0 Kudos
Kevin_L
Level 5

The only thing of which I think is registry virtualization http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530198.aspx.

But, I am not sure that is your case.
0 Kudos
roger_hurst
Level 5

This keeps coming back...Is there any way to trace what's happening?

To recap, on XP when I double-click on setup.exe the prerequisite works as designed.

The prerequisite is installation of a SQL 2000 instance, which must be in place to support some execution threads in the stall.

On Vista, it just goes directly into the install, which will fail because the database instance is not in place.
0 Kudos