cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc75
Level 4

need help with non-cumulative patching!

Hi,

does anyone know how to create non-cumulative (minor upgrade) patches in InstallShield?

When I create:
- (A) baseline version 1.0
- (B) minor upgrade patch to 1.1 that targets 1.0
- (C) minor upgrade patch to 1.2 that targets 1.1
When I install the product (A) and then try to install the minor upgrade patch that should target 1.1 (C) it actually installs (!) leaving some files (available in (B) unpatched?

I know I can create (C) to target (A) and (B), but I would like to create (C) to target (B), and (B) to target (A).
I cannot find any documentation on this!?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Marc
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

How did you set the "Version Relationship" setting in the Advanced options of the previous setup? I am thinking you need to have that set to "Previous Setup Version = Latest Setup Version".
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Marc75
Level 4

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank you for helping me out. I've been struggling with this for over a year now and had this issue posted before without any replies!

Your suggestion indeed helped me out! It now works the way I would want it to work. However, I do not understand these settings. I've probably noticed these settings in the past, but they are still confusing me! How can it be that (C) won't install over (A), but it does install over (B) when the option you mentioned is set to 'previous setup version = latest setup version'. For me it seems that it would only install if both versions were the same!?

Would you please be so kind to clarify how I should read these possible settings?

Thanks!

Marc
0 Kudos
Marc75
Level 4

Hi,

it seems that the InstallShield documentation (2010) is not quite up-to-date. In the past there have been more issues with the patching mechanism:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/archive/index.php?t-107255.html
The Windows Installer documentation now has another description listed for the function that is actually being called by InstallShield: MsiCreateTransformSummaryInfo
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370073(v=vs.85).aspx

Please have the InstallShield documentation updated. And it would be great if the 'version relation' property would be pointed out in order to have the patches work the way someone want them to work. Perhaps updating an InstallShield White Paper would be great!!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Marc
0 Kudos