cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snapjudgement
Level 3

msi issues ocx file wont register

Have a msi with a ocx file that wont register, when I install the msi i have to self register to make it work, or i have to launch the app , "run as admin" i can turn off the uac off ( Win 7 I am talking about) and it registers.. i have added reg files to automatically do this in my msi , but still wont register? Any ideas? :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
snapjudgement
Level 3

snapjudgement wrote:
Have a msi with a ocx file that wont register, when I install the msi i have to self register to make it work, or i have to launch the app , "run as admin" i can turn off the uac off ( Win 7 I am talking about) and it registers.. i have added reg files to automatically do this in my msi , but still wont register? Any ideas? :confused:

Answered my own question,,, if the app needs to run as admin to register the ocx?? which is strange ( instead of manualy regsvr32xxx.ocx) and its a msi that will be advertised to alot of users , and they dont need to be lauch it as admin to start:
just created a reg file added it to the msi:
1.Open the Registry Editor with Elevated Privileges, refer to "Opening the Registry Editor with Elevated Privileges"
2.Navigate to:
HKCR\regfile\shell

3.Create a new key by right-clicking "shell" to select New > Key. Name the new key RunAs.
4.Create a new key by right-clicking "RunAs" to select New > Key. Name the new key command.
5.Double-click (default)located at:
HKCR\regfile\shell\RunAs\command

6.Enter the following in the Value Data field:
regedit.exe "%1"
0 Kudos