cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holger_G
Level 10

migrated to IS 2010: "This installation may require additional dependencies...."

Hi,

-Basic MSI project migrated from IS2009 to IS2010
-includes a Feature Prerequisite
-all files compressed into Setup.exe
-extract Prerequisites from Setup.exe
-Cache installation on local machine:
[LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations

Issue:
Repair installation prompts the attached message:

Any clue?
Thanks,
Holger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It is attempting to find the original setup.exe or differentiate between multiple possible candidates, so it can install the feature prerequisites. Depending on your scenario, you can fix this in one of several ways.

• If the setup.exe is cached, an end user can just point to it.
  • If the original media is available, an end user can insert and point to that instead.
  • If you never need to reinstall feature prerequisites, you can change the condition on the ISInstallPrerequisites action.
Does this help?
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:

• If you never need to reinstall feature prerequisites, you can change the condition on the ISInstallPrerequisites action.
    Does this help?

• That will do the job, thanks Michael.
    0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

Great! Down that route, make sure you consider usual maintenance as well - if you don't care about repair/reinstall, but do care about selecting a feature that wasn't previously installed, this condition could get messy.
    0 Kudos
    mistigi
    Level 3

I have the same problem but I need a bit more spoon feeding, what should I change the condition to ?

It is now at:

NOT(EXECUTEMODE~="NONE") AND NOT(PATCH AND Installed)

It is Basic MSI, IS 2010 Premiere SP1 with hotfix 52410.
    0 Kudos
    mistigi
    Level 3

I have same issue when I am trying to upgrade.

I noticed the problem does not appear on Windows XP. However on windows 7 with UAC on I am getting same error message "This installation...." and is asking me to point to the original setup.exe.

on the other hand if I run the new setup.exe as an administrator there is no such error message and it continues installation/upgrade without a prompt for the original setup.exe

Is it a known bug in installshield ?
    0 Kudos
    mistigi
    Level 3

I ended up setting the condition to:

NOT(EXECUTEMODE~="NONE") AND NOT(PATCH AND Installed) AND NOT(IS_MINOR_UPGRADE)

This also requires adding IS_MINOR_UPGRADE to SecureCustomProperties per this thread. Otherwise the IS_MINOR_UPGRADE property is not going to be available when evaluating the launch action condition unless setup is launched with Run as Administrator

This still feels like a bug in the way IS handles prerequsites for minor upgrades. Anybody knows if it has been addressed in IS 2011 ?
    0 Kudos
    Amitagarg22
    Level 5

Hii
    Can Anyone please tell me where is this SecureCustomProperties and how to add IS_MINOR_UPGRADE to this .
    Thanx
    0 Kudos
    un-obtainium
    Level 3

Is it possible to cache the setup.exe like you can cache the msi? That way it never asks the user for the original setup.exe when modifying / repairing an install.
    0 Kudos