Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

how does installer failure work???

Hi All

My question is tht when MSI prereq fails then how does the prerequisite dialog know tht the prereq has failed? Can someone tell me what happens in the background??

Thanks
sunny
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Prerequisite failures are detected by re-evaluating the conditions. See the documentation on the behavior tab for more details and options.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

MichaelU wrote:
Prerequisite failures are detected by re-evaluating the conditions. See the documentation on the behavior tab for more details and options.

Thanks Michael for the reply. I have a .net 2 C# console application in which i set System.Environment.ExitCode = 1602 when i get an error.

I wonder if it is the right way to set the condition so that prerequisite fails in an event of error in my c# application?

thanks again
sunny
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

plzz help. anyone....
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I don't believe prereqs check exit codes for failure. It simply reevaluates the conditions that caused it to be invoked in the first place.

For example...

If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foo is missing run prereq
install
If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foo is still missing, raise an error.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Christopher Painter wrote:
I don't believe prereqs check exit codes for failure. It simply reevaluates the conditions that caused it to be invoked in the first place.

For example...

If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foo is missing run prereq
install
If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foo is still missing, raise an error.

but when you do not have any condition and ur prereq fails(gives an error) then how does the installshield know that it has failed?? (i have tried prereqs without any conditions in it and if i cancel in the installation then it says installation failed)
0 Kudos