cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheese-2402
Level 4

chained package only working on the 2nd installation

Hello,

I have further errors i don't understand.

If i installed a chained-msi-package the first time on Windows XP SP3 with no Windows Installer 4.5, the package installes WIN Installer 4.5, then .Net 2.0 and starts then with the main installation, but no chained package is installed.

I attached the log-file, some words are in german, if anyone needs a translation, i will do it but its to much work to translate all german parts...

Chained packages are python.msi and LinuDent.msi, i found them in line 564 first.

Perhaps the answer of the problem is, i have to restart after installing the installer 4.5, but how can i do this?

When i delete the first installation and restart, then all packages installing.

Thanks and bye
Cheese
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Correct; the pending reboot which came from installing Windows Installer 4.5 prevents the chaining from running. You can modify the Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisite to reboot immediately, or maybe you could try to just ignore the reboot (this is not recommended).
0 Kudos
cheese-2402
Level 4

Okay, and how can i say he have to reboot after installing the prerequisite windows installer 4.5? I'm new on InstallShield and havn't found where i can do this...

Tanks
0 Kudos
datamine
Level 6

Right-click on the prerequisite in the Redistributables view, and select Edit Prerequisite. Under the Application to Run tab, remove the /norestart option from the command line, and then under the Behavior tab select "Reboot the machine and resume on reboot" in the lower dropdown box.

I have a question on this for Michael, if he's listening 😉 The Reboot option above doesn't prompt the user, and the other options are worded a bit confusingly - is there an option to prompt the user before rebooting?
0 Kudos
datamine
Level 6

I thought I'd found it, by replacing /norestart with /promptrestart, but that then gives me a horrible "Hotfix" dialog with a "Don't restart" checkbox. Isn't there an option that gives a simple MessageBox-type prompt?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I would suggest leaving the command line as provided; while we try to handle it when the prerequisite executable causes a restart, it's cleanest when the prerequisite engine handles it. But otherwise, datamine's suggestions look good to me.

For prompting the user about a reboot, there are two options. In the English UI they are: "Prompt the user only if no reboot is detected...," and "Prompt the user to reboot the machine..." Both of these options guarantee that the prerequisite engine will reboot the machine if the user accepts its prompt, but the former assumes the prerequisite executable has already prompted the user (and the user accepted) if it returns a reboot return code, while the latter prompts no matter the return code.
0 Kudos
datamine
Level 6

I've found an acceptable combination, which involves (as you suggest) leaving the /norestart in the command line, and setting the Behavior to "Prompt the user to reboot even if nothing is detected, and resume on reboot".
0 Kudos
cheese-2402
Level 4

Ok, Tanks, i think my problems are solved.

The only thing i'm worried about is, that the restart from the installation after reboot sometime works, sometimes not... I found in the options from the prerequisits nothing, but i think the user should restart the installation, thats no problem.

I have one further question, but has nothing to do with this thread. I try something with own prerequisits for Vista and it don't works, i think this is the damn UAC...
0 Kudos
dbdemigod
Level 3

Hello,

datamine wrote:
Right-click on the prerequisite in the Redistributables view, and select Edit Prerequisite. Under the Application to Run tab, remove the /norestart option from the command line, and then under the Behavior tab select "Reboot the machine and resume on reboot" in the lower dropdown box.

I have a question on this for Michael, if he's listening 😉 The Reboot option above doesn't prompt the user, and the other options are worded a bit confusingly - is there an option to prompt the user before rebooting?

I've tried these options to no avail - 4.5 installs unprompted (good), then the installation continues without the chained package (bad). At completion of the primary installer, I am prompted to restart, but no further processing takes place after the restart. Any clues? Thanks.

- Matt -
0 Kudos