cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajeevgc
Level 3

Windows 2008 Virtual Directory creation issue

Hello,

We are facing issues in creating virtual directory in a website on Windows Server 2008 which has IIS 7. This virtual directory is added in Internet Information Services view using InstallShield 2009 Premier.

PS: We have added a property (IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS) with value 1 which was one of the solution, but of no use.

It would be great if anyone can suggest a solution for this. 🙂

Regards,
Rajeev
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
JimmiLee
Level 6

Do you want to add a VD to an existing web site or a new one? If an existing one, do you know the port number and site number of the site?

Setting IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS to 1, will install compatible with IIS6, but I'm not sure that works, unless the server has been installed with compatability with IIS6 . . .
0 Kudos
rajeevgc
Level 3

We want to add the VD to an existing website, we know the IP and port number.

We tried the IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS option and we have also installed windows 2008 server with IIS6 compatibility. But this option is failing. Any other solution?

Thanks,
Rajeev
0 Kudos
JimmiLee
Level 6

You need the site number as well - I've never tried setting it up with the IP.
What I do, is I run a VBS script that fetches the Site number and port and puts them in two global variables I've made in the property manager - CRMSITEPORT and CRMSITENUMBER . . .
Then in the Internet Information Services window in the install designer, I put [CRMSITEPORT] in the port number of the website and [CRMSITENUMBER] in the site number . . .

See the attachment for my VBS script - it should be stored in a binary in custom actions ...
I didn't write all of the script myself, but took bits and pieces from David Wangs script here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/07/13/HOWTO_Enumerate_IIS_Website_Configuration.aspx

BTW. I still set IISPREFERLEGACY to 1, as otherwise it puts the VD in the root of a website (and in my installation it should be in a subfolder).
0 Kudos
RickRogers
Level 5

Have you confirmed your install package works on Windows XP?
0 Kudos
JimmiLee
Level 6

Not sure if that question was directed towards me, bu my solution works on both Server 2003 and Server 2008 - never tried on Windows XP though . . .
0 Kudos
RickRogers
Level 5

That question was directed at Rajeev 🙂

I am new myself and I am building my install package on XP for deployment to Windows Server 2008 -

My initial deployment attempts to WS 2008 all failed until I found out about IISPREFERSLEGACYOBJECTS; now the package installs as designed (I use a single Basic MSI package to deploy several chained MSI's, a couple of Window Services, 4 App Pools and 4 Virtual Directories).

But my install also worked/deployed flawlessly on XP! So once I found out about the property, without changing any thing in the package, I simply added it and everything worked perfectly deploying on WS 2008.

So, my *guess* is if an install package fails on XP then setting IISPREFERSLEGACYOBJECTS to install on Windows Server 2008 most likely will not matter...
0 Kudos