cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ugurgung
Level 3

Windows 2008 R2 x64 Setup Issue

Hi,

Sorry but could not find it in earlier threads about this.

We own IS2009 and we have a setup project with it. We realized that it works with Windows 2008 but it failed with Windows 2008 R2 x64. For another project we needed IS2010 and bought it. I thought it would have better W2008 R2 x64 support and IS2009 W2008R2 support was not complete etc...

I converted setup project to IS2010 and made a build. But build still fails in Windows 2008 R2 x64.

IS2009 setup was able to copy files but was not able to write to windows registry or execute script. I thought IS2009's W2008 support was not complete yet (i might be wrong for this, we didnot have such requiremnt so i did not bother to test it properly).

But when i converted setup to IS2010, it still fails (does not give error but neither can execute InstallScript nor set windows registry). It copies files though. My script includes some executable run, some dynamic windows registry setting, some share creation etc...

Something that disturbs me is: when i run installer, i also check windows event log and setup creates many messages like "Warning: Product X, application tried to modify a protected Windows Registry key \XYZ". Setup only sets maybe 10 registry keys but there are near 100 messages like that in event log. I tried with any kind of user for install but it always creates messages like that even with Admin user.

Is there something more i need to do? Do i miss anything?

If setup has a problem, I will try to recreate setup but it will take too much time for me so a quick fix is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ugur
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you provide some additional information?
- What project type are you working with?
- What specifically is the setup failing to do?
- Are you self-registering any files with this setup?
- What script code is failing to execute?
- What registry information is not being written?
0 Kudos
ugurgung
Level 3

hi joshstechnij,

- What project type are you working with? : it is InstallScript MSI project generated with IS2009 prof.

- What specifically is the setup failing to do? : it cannot execute any script code. there is a bunch of script files in setup. They are executed if some custom features are selected by user.

- Are you self-registering any files with this setup? : except a .Net COM object, none. All others are registered using script code. By registration i mean a .Net windows service installation and another .Net COM object registration according to user's selection.

- What script code is failing to execute? : the script code contains some registry creation on LOCALMACHINE (LOCALMACHINE\Software\SHS\LASR\X key, some DWORD and STRING values here), a share creation (we took it from web, it was named wmnet.rul providing share creation methods) and 1-2 executable run methods (for file registrations, see above). Some of these operations are bind with component/feature after/before install processes, one method is bind to custom dialog.

- What registry information is not being written? : the script cannot create any registry key to LOCALMACHINE. Registry is created according to some dynamic selection according to custom dialog so it is done at script layer.

Same setup project works on all systems except W2008R2 x64 (and we dont have W2008R2 x86 so dont know about it). There is no log stating that "operation X failed" so i dont know what fails.

Thanks,

Ugur
0 Kudos
palanisamy
Level 7

Hi ugurgung,
Please check your registry entries are created under
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\SHS\LASR\X
0 Kudos
ugurgung
Level 3

palanisamy wrote:
Hi ugurgung,
Please check your registry entries are created under
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\SHS\LASR\X

Thanks palanisamy.

i found it, registry stuff is there.

Still have the issue about other things like script processing, executable running etc.

Thanks

Ugur
0 Kudos
ugurgung
Level 3

Hi,

Although i still need information about this, i found some interesting info.

I made a new test setup to test some script. I can do anything i require in new setup project (created with IS2010) on W2008R2 x64, everything works fine.

So i think after converting IS2009 project to IS2010 something is broken. Also just realized that converted setup's uninstall does nothing (does not even remove files) although it says everything is success.

Thanks,

Ugur
0 Kudos