cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mihaimarinescu
Level 4

Why do i get 1706 ? The cd is inserted and i have access to it.

Hi all,
I have an installation where i have some data i install per user under My Documents so when the admin installs the software he has some folders in My Documents. When a restricted user starts up our software it then repairs the installation and installs the folders for that particular user too. This works fine if i originally installed the installation from Shared Documents and if it resides there. If i have the instalaltion on a CD and the admin has installed it from the cd then when the installation wants to reapair for a restricted user (member of users) then it fails with even though the CD is inserted.

Why do i get this behaviour ?

Mihai
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
rchand445
Level 5

Have you tried looking at the event log, or enabled windows install logging to get more clues?
0 Kudos
mihaimarinescu
Level 4

As i read more and more on the community here there are some people pointing out that it might not be possible to repair from a CD as a restricted user since this could be a security vulnerability.

Any know this ofr sure that a user that is member of Users cannot repair his instalation from a CD ?

Mihai
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

By default, standard users are not allowed to browse for source media since the possibility exists for security issues. A system policy is available that would allow for browsing for source media for non-administrative users:
AllowLockdownBrowse - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367556.aspx
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Also - the log file should indicate this error (I believe) and may provide more information about the current system policy state.
0 Kudos