Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nedsram
Level 3

Vista install issue

I am getting the following error during installation:

C:\Windows\[System32/SysWOW64]\ctl3d32.dll
Access is denied

I have never had this with XP, and it doesn't seem to object to any other dlls being installed in that folder.

It's not a serious issue as the file is already there, but it would alarm anybody attempting to install the software.

I'm wondering either if there is a merge module that should be used instead (I can't find one, and maybe it would have the same problem), or whether it should be installing this dll somewhere else.

Alternatively I guess I could remove the file altogether, but the installation has to support everything from Windows 95 onwards, and I have no idea whether earlier versions of Windows need this file to be installed.

Any ideas please?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
alphacz
Level 5

Are you requiring Administrative privileges for your install? Any user attempting to install anything to that folder in Vista must have admin privileges. Not sure why other dlls are working OK going to that folder...
0 Kudos
nedsram
Level 3

alphacz wrote:
Are you requiring Administrative privileges for your install? Any user attempting to install anything to that folder in Vista must have admin privileges. Not sure why other dlls are working OK going to that folder...

I'll try running the install as administrator, and see if that makes any difference.
0 Kudos
nedsram
Level 3

I tried running the install as administrator. I still get the error message. The component is marked as "potentially locked", so it isn't a locking issue. The file comctl32.dll is in the same component, and therefore goes to the same folder, and doesn't give this error.
0 Kudos
nedsram
Level 3

I've isolated ctl3d32.dll in a separate component, that doesn't have Vista in the list for the "Operating Systems" property. Despite this it still tries and fails to install the DLL.

Is this a known issue, and if so, are there any workarounds?
0 Kudos