cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISNoob
Level 6

Cancel Install when Prerequisites are installing

I have a setup.exe and I have a couple of prerequisites, which are the first things that gets installed when I start the installation process. The prerequisite is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and Adobe Reader.

I would like to cancel my install when either of the prerequisites are in the process of installing.

However when I click on cancel, I get displayed the message Would you like to cancel the setup after Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 has finished installing?
The buttons Yes and No are displayed on this dialog.

When I click No, the install continues and nothing happens, when I click Yes the same happens (which is what I expect) but upon clicking No I expect the whole installation to abort.

How can I make the installer to abort install when a Prerequisite is running?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In general the prerequisite engine does not know how to safely abort the installation of a prerequisite so it doesn't try. The only option offered is to wait for the currently executing prerequisite to finish, and then cancel the overall install. Thus Yes means to do this; No means "No, I don't want to cancel."

For prerequisites that are raw MSI files and show progress messages, it's possible for the engine to send the cancel message to the MSI. Of course what the MSI does with it is its own business, so if it doesn't exit immediately the engine must wait, just like in the non-MSI case.
0 Kudos