cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

Vista Certification Questions

We are preparing our product for Vista Certification, and I have a few questions regarding this. We are using InstallShield 2008 with an InstallScriptMSI project.

First, test case 20 requires us to run the application under AppVerifier. Unfortunately when we do this,
the InstallShield setup program triggers a first chance exception. Is this a known issue?

Second, test 25 requires the item MsiRMSFilesInUse dialog in the Dialog table. I can find advice for fixing
this issue with InstallShield 12, and for a Basic Msi in Installshield 2008, but I can't find out what to do
for InstallScriptMSI in Installsheild 2008.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The exception under AppVerifier was submitted in work order IOA-000028845. The only known work around for this is to disable the "File Paths" test option.

For the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog, it was our understanding that this requirement in checking the Dialog table was supposed to be removed from an updated version of the logo requirements. Since InstallScript MSI projects run with an external user interface, there is no Dialog table present (the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog is implemented through InstallScript), similar to the Office 2007 installer. It should be possible to at least obtain an exception for this test case.
0 Kudos
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that my problem with the Setup.exe crashing under app verifier appears to be
different from the item above, in that I still get it even when I have the File Paths
test option unchecked. Is it possible to find out about the progress and details of the
above work order?

The error log produced by AppVerifier from installshield is shown below.

-
-
-
First chance access violation for current stack trace.
4202f91 - Invalid address causing the exception.
427e62 - Code address executing the invalid access.
12cefc - Exception record.
12cf18 - Context record.
-
vrfcore!VfCoreRedirectedStopMessage+81
vfbasics!VfBasicsStopMessage+1c9
vfbasics!AVrfpCheckFirstChanceException+139
vfbasics!AVrfpVectoredExceptionHandler+18
ntdll!RtlGetProcessHeaps+13f
ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSectionAndSpinCount+164
ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSectionAndSpinCount+1d5
ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher+f
Setup!+4039d7
Setup!+4023fb
Setup!+40207a
Setup!+41d33b
Setup!+41cee5
Setup!+406c62
Setup!+41c79d
Setup!+41c35c
Setup!+40e6b2
Setup!+429a4c
kernel32!BaseThreadInitThunk+12
ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+63
ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+36

0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The work order is currently in a pending status, so no code based solution is available at this time to resolve the behavior you're seeing. The behavior reported in the work order is related to following the steps provided in the logo certification test 15. There was a note added after the work order was reported that indicates the same behavior for other test cases (the root problem is likely the same, though).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why turning off file paths didn't resolve the behavior. The only other possible cause of this that we are aware of is using a compressed single setup.exe as opposed to an uncompressed build (such as CD-ROM or network image) to perform the test with. Uncompressed builds may not encounter the same behavior with the test sets enabled.
0 Kudos
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

Thanks. I turned off all the tests except for LuaPriv, which is the only one needed for the test, and this worked. 🙂
0 Kudos