cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaellevy
Level 3

Verification Failing

I am behind a proxy and even after I try setting the proxy login details, I am still getting an error 50041. When I tried offline verification, I got an email telling me the request code that I provided seems to be incorrect or invalid. I re-checked and it was correct.

Trying to register via the web site by entering my serial number says the product is already registered. IT IS NOT! I just opened the package for the first time and have never installed it before on ANY machine!

Why is IS such a piece of SHIT?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Pauli_Porkka
Level 2

I have atleast in part the same problem. Error 50041, havent received the response from offline registration yet (which btw was sent to address offline_activation_beta@ as instructed on offline activation "wizard", note word "beta" on the email address..).

I was running wireshark network protocol analyser on background and apparently looks like the ishield was using port 8443 for activation, which atleast in our environment is closed for outbound traffic.. I just cant understand why would they not use standard http or https ports for the activation..
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Registration and Activation are two separate steps. You first need to register your software on the web site, then you can activate it. Registration is not required if you purchased directly from Macrovision, and is only required once if you purchased from a reseller.

Activation is required each time you install the software. It could be done only or by e-mail. You have to send in the activation request code and will receive a response code you have to enter. It appears that sometimes the request code gets corrupted. In this case, or if you don't receive a response code within one working day, you could try contacting support@macrovision.com or calling your local Macrovision office.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
michaellevy
Level 3

I contacted support. They sent me a .reg file to change some registry entry and then had me re-generate the request code. They sent a response code and all is well.

I have attached the zipped .reg file in case it proves useful for someone else. Note this is for IS 2008 Professional.

The reg entry is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\14.0\Professional]
"ProductSKU"="9EF083AA-EE9C-4f89-81B9-450CCBC2B0DC"
0 Kudos
dlphillips
Level 3

I agree, this is a very poor implementation, and this is a new "bug" since the on-line activation of Install Shield version 12 worked just fine. The visual presentation of the activation screens is very poor ergonomics since they are not intuitive and difficult to understand. And typically, absolutely no documentation is provided on this aspect of the product. Also, unless you purchase your copy of the software under their uber expensive open license plan, the license you paid very big bucks for, the one on the media case, is only temporary, and you must suffer through this activation process to get a real license to enable the software.

Wise Installer customers get far better treatment than this.

We have been fighting this problem for over a week, and the Install Shield 2008 activation will not work with a secure corporate IT network. Their only suggestion is to make this work is to get port 4340 opened on the corporate firewall, something no intellegent IT manager will allow just to accomodate a questionable implementation by a tool vendor.

The only work-around available is to exhange e-mail dialogs with IS Support to get a valid activaiton key. In a corporate organization like ours, with a great many copies that need to be activated, this is extremely agravating and might be enought to convince us to switch to Wise installer instead.

Your right, this stuff stinks. But, after all the previous versions over all these years, they have continuously failed to demonstrate a grasp on the needs of their customers.
0 Kudos
IS2008_newbie
Level 2

Hi, I'm new to InstallShield and to this forum.

I have a similar verification problem. I had un-installed IS2008 (prof. ed.) from my computer and then re-installed it on the SAME computer. I kept getting error 50041 when trying to 'verify' online. I know my computer can connect to the internet OK, but I don't know what to do to "connect to the verification server."

Emailing to offline support only pointed me to the KB article on how to un-install properly. I followed the instruction and then re-installed, still got the same error. I agree that the online verification process does not work.

I sent another email to offline verification support and while I'm waiting a response, I have no access to IS2008, and that's not productive.

Question: Why isn't the verification software smart enough to detect that I'm re-installing on the SAME computer and should skip verification?

Thanks for any info. you may share.
0 Kudos