cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lipoly
Level 2

VS 2010 & IS 2011 - "Catastrophic failure" in project properties.

My team is migrating from using the built-in visual studio setup projects to Installshield. I created a test solution to try things out and it didn't start out well...

When adding an installshield 2011 project (happens w/all types I've tried) the property page for all other projects in the solution give an error (solution will also not build):

"Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))"

This happens just by adding the IS project...I don't even have to set project outputs in the IS project.

See attached photo.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Please see the known issue KB article:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q208912

It has a link to a hotfix KB article that should resolve the issue that you are seeing.
0 Kudos
Lipoly
Level 2

Thanks, that fixed it.
0 Kudos
exatex
Level 3

Hi,

Same problem, same solution.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
un-obtainium
Level 3

Same Problem. When I apply the patch i dont get that error anymore, rather, everytime I click the properties page visual studio needs to restart. I have tried re registering those 2 dll's and restatrting the machine. Nothing works. Any Ideas?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

That seems to be a Visual Studio bug. I believe that a beta of SP1 for Visual Studio 2010 is available now, at least to MSDN subscribers. If you have access to the beta, you may want to try installing that and see if the problem is resolved.
0 Kudos