cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JYoder
Level 3

User says running Install goes behind her other windows

We have a user that says this, which we can't replicate, so wondering if you have any thoughts...

"The last few times I have installed the newest compiled version, after clicking on the setup, that screen goes to the back of my desktop (behind all my other opened program screens) and there is nothing on the taskbar, so it looks like nothing happened. I have to move or close all my other screens to finally see it and click Next to continue."

Do you have any idea why this would happen? The computer is a Windows 7 laptop.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

That can happen and generally there is nothing a person can do about it. Why it happens sometimes and not others is a mystery of MSIEXEC.EXE

But, there should be something in the taskbar when you run an installer by default unless you really jump through some hoops.

Maybe the two problems are related? I'd go to that machine and try other MSI files since double-clicking on one MSI should be same as any other MSI. Once the Welcome screen displays, or whatever you have set as your first screen, the taskbar should show the entry.

Did anything change between the newest compile and the previous?

Chad
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

Just a side-note: I had someone claiming my installer was broken here recently because when they double-click on the MSI it runs Notepad. I helped the individual remove the File Association they had created themselves between MSI and Notepad.exe. Once I did that they were fine.

Moral of the story: Trust, but confirm anything a user says.

Chad
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

One thought is if the user has their mouse clicks set like this "Single click to open an item (point to select) option." and then they double-click on things not realizing then the second click can put the window focus on something other than the installer they are trying to launch.

Here's what to look for.

Try opening Control Panel / Folder Options.

Select the Single click to open an item (point to select) option.

Click Apply / OK.

Now, in this case you want to see what the state of this selection is. If it is set to

Double click to open an item (single-click to select)

Then that sound not be a factor.

Chad
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Chad has some good ideas and it sounds like it has something to do with the environment (one machine). However, even when you get that machine to behave like others there are times that windows get hidden behind others. I had that problem with Suite installers. Check out my post here to 'Bring Suite Window to Front'.
https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?220107-Bring-Suite-Window-to-Front&highlight=front
0 Kudos