cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khteoh
Level 3

User's Decision on Prerequisite

I have a number of prerequisites and binaries to be installed under an MSI. In one of the prerequisite, I want to set it with the behavior "The prerequisite may be optionally skipped by the user". The user's decision will then be used to determined if the corresponding binaries shall be installed. Is there a way to achieve this? Is it possible to track the user's decision on the prerequisite? If it is possible, how should I do it? Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi khteoh,

As per what you are asking this is possible.
You have to associate the redistributables with features in the redistributables tab.

I will try to explain this with an example:

1. Launch InstallShield.
2. Switch to "Installation Designer"
3. Navigate to Organization > Setup Design.
4. Create 2 Features :
- Bin 1
- Bin 2
5. Select "Bin 1", then Right click and create "New Component"
- Comp1
6. Select "Bin 2", then Right click and create "New Component"
- Comp2
7. Select "Comp1" and expand, select "Files".
8. Add "Bin1.exe"
9. Select "Comp2" and expand, select "Files".
10. Add "Bin2.exe"
Now It will look like this:

11. Navigate to Redistributables
12. Select "Redistributables One" and associate it with Feature "Bin 1" (in the bottom window)
13. Select "Redistributables Two" and associate it with Feature "Bin 2".
14. Build the project.
15. Run the setup.exe, now during installation select "Custom" insted of "Complete" in "Setup Type".

Only selecting "Bin1" will install "Redistributables One" and "Bin1.exe" (or any other payloads)
Only selecting "Bin2" will install "Redistributables Two" and "Bin2.exe" (or any other payloads)

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Regards,
Utsab
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

khteoh wrote:
I have a number of prerequisites and binaries to be installed under an MSI. In one of the prerequisite, I want to set it with the behavior "The prerequisite may be optionally skipped by the user". The user's decision will then be used to determined if the corresponding binaries shall be installed. Is there a way to achieve this? Is it possible to track the user's decision on the prerequisite? If it is possible, how should I do it? Thank you.

Hi,

You are almost there,by setting "The prerequisite may be optionally skipped by the user" you could make optional pre-requisite installation to user.

-Enable "The prerequisite may be optionally skipped by the user" option on Prerequisite editor->Behavior tab.

-Then associate edited prerequisite by opting for either Feature\Install before feature selection under redistributables view(As per UtsabKarmakar's comments)

That is it,now you will be able to see user-optional installation..Following link talks about it in detail:http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/isxhelp20/Content/helplibrary/IHelpSetPrereqRun.htm

Find the attached snap for reference:

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos