cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samjohnston
Level 3

Upgrades Not Quite Right

For several years we have used IS 12 to create the installers for our product, and I am in the process of rewriting our installer with IS 2010. This is an installscript project.

With our old installer, the upgrade procedure was to uninstall the old version (leaving some files behind) and then install the newer version on top of it. One of the main things we're trying to do with this rewrite is to start using the built-in upgrade features of InstallShield.

Here is my current setup:
- Our builds are created by an Ant script. The Ant script builds all the files for our product, then executes IsCmdBld.exe to create the installation with those files.
- The Ant script creates an environment variable containing the product version for this particular build in the form "1.2.3".
- The InstallShield project has General Info > Product Version set to an environment path variable that grabs this value.

This seems to work for upgrading...mostly. I manually changed the version in the IS project to get two installers, each with identical files, but different version numbers. Call them v1 and v2.

I install v1, then run the v2 installer and it performs an upgrade, as expected. But then when I go into Add/Remove Programs, the version number listed is still v1. If I try running the v2 installer again, it still offers to upgrade, even though it should already be installed. I would expect to get the maintenance options.

The IS documentation hasn't been very helpful. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong here?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
girishkatti123
Level 7

please go through these thread. Hope it might solve your problem.

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=185545
0 Kudos
samjohnston
Level 3

Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't look like the information in that thread applies to our project. We are using pure installscript, not installscript msi. Also, we do not end up with 2 entries in Add/Remove programs. There is only one entry, but it displays the v1 information even after an upgrade to v2.
0 Kudos
girishkatti123
Level 7

script will run OnupdateUIBefore(), instead of MaintUI() if its upgrade. Checks for version for doing this.
For upgrade u need version change in any x, in x.x.x.y version
0 Kudos
samjohnston
Level 3

OnUpdateUIBefore is run when trying to upgrade, so that makes it seem like it's picking up the correct version number and doing what it's supposed to. It's only the version # in add/remove programs that doesn't get updated. I have customized OnUpdateUIBefore and OnUpdateUIAfter. Do I have to manually change the add/remove programs entry in one of these functions?
0 Kudos
davech66
Level 4

I believe that there is string value you have to modify.
0 Kudos