cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriscw
Level 6

Upgrade BUG with minor version digits.

We have just been working on implementing UPGRADES to our products. In the past we always included the release number in the product ID and install path and changed the GUID for each release. for various reasons we now want users to be offered UPGRADE as a possibility and to be able to distribute differential media.

What seems to be the case is a change in the leftmost digit groups does not cause upgrade to be offered, so 1.02.03.004 to 1.02.03.005 offers the user the MAINTENACE UI not the UPGRADE UI. Changing from 1.02.03.004 to 1.02.04.001 does offer UPGRADE. Is there a work round for this bug as we would like UPGRADE to be offered for all version increases. Currently I have worked around this by modifying the MAINTENANCE UI to offer REPAIR as a default and to disable MODIFY.

This is actually not much of a problem to us at the last digit groups is normally used in house only.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is a limitation of Windows Installer. It only respects changes within the first three sets of digits.
0 Kudos
chriscw
Level 6

Quite a serious limitation of Windows Installer I think! Still it should not cause us too much problem in the field I think. Thanks for confirming that.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

perhaps the information in the help topic "Major Upgrade vs. Minor Upgrade vs. Small Update" might be helpful.
0 Kudos