cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattQVI
Level 8

Uninstall fails if I no longer have access to the MSI file

Users are copying the release folder to their desktop to install our application then removing the folder after it completes. When they go to uninstall, the process can no longer find the .MSI file. So I tried to update the install to cache the MSI locally but it is disabled. The Note reads "This setting is enabled for releases that do not have the .msi file available in the same folder as the Setup.exe file on the target system". Why? I need to enable this and so far have found nothing in the Forum to help. Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

switch to a single compressed *.exe and you should be able to use that setting.
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

I would add as well, thinking about it: It's unusual that your setup requires the *.msi for uninstallation.

It may be that you can fix this problem itself. Check the uninstall log for "ResolveSource" to see what is triggering it. You shouldn't need this action firing off unless there's a good reason. The default for new projects is to have a condition on the action in the sequence to prevent this very thing.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

As soon as I select Uninstall from Programs And Features I am met with a dialog pop-up that is looking for the MSI file (which is now cached locally). I attached a screen shot of the dialog.

Not sure where the uninstall log would be - or if even gets created.
0 Kudos