cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alibaba
Level 6

Uninstall InstallAware Setup

Hello,

I switched from InstallAware (back) to InstallShield. Now I have the problem that I am not able to uninstall the old version (generated with IA) with my new InstallShield Installation.

Since it is not possible to run one .msi within another I have no idea how to solve this problem.

I was able to uninstall the InstallAware setup during User Interface sequence but if I run the setup full silent then the uninstallation is not executed.

Also a prerequisite is not executed in silent mode, right? Or could a feature prerequisite be a solution? Any other suggestions?

I hope I can solve this without the help of InstallAware anyhow...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Suhas_Hegde
Level 3

Prerequisite should execute during the silent mode. What I would suggest is to create a batch file which would uninstall the older version before the actual MSI runs. This way we can avoid the scene where the two MSI wont run together.

For example:

Create a batch file which would execute the below command line

msiexec.exe /x {Product Code}

Create a new prerequisite which would run this batch file which in turn will uninstall the older version before Install Shield would initialize the MSI engine.

Hope this helps or provides some help to you.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

Thank you Suhas Hegde,

the approach is good but not perfect, since I do not know the productcode because more than one version of this product was already released. I have to determine the ProductCode first.

I solved it this way:
I wrote a program that searches the registry for the Uninstallstring of the application and executes it.

I sequenced the prerequisite with this program as feature prererquisite and it semms to work - but I am still testing.

Maybe this could be the solution for all my InstallAware to InstallShield upgrade scenarios.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

After some more testing it seems that it is not really possible...anyhow.

So I tried a different approach:

Entering a new Upgrade item for the IA setup Upgrade code. In IA it is called Upgrades Product with product code: {xxxx}

This code"xxxx" I entered as Upgrade code in "Upgrade Item" and IS really finds the IA setup as related! 🙂

BUT: it is also not working since the MSI could not be found within "InstallSource" Folder. Error 1706.

Also your approach is not possible:

msiexec.exe /x {Product Code}

If you try this with an IA generated setup then you get the "insert Disk" Dialog where you should browser to the .msi file

So my conclusion for today:

Uninstall an InstallAware setup with InstallShield

1. via UpgradeItem => Not possible

2. via msiexec.exe /x {Product Code} => Not possible

3. via Prerequisite => Not possible, but still a glimmer of hope
0 Kudos
Suhas_Hegde
Level 3

Well. There might be one more try. Going out of the box. Have you tried WMIC to uninstall an application?

something like the below command line

wmic product where "Name like '%ABCD%'" call uninstall

I have tried this out.It works for regular installers(windows Installer and Installshield).I am not sure how it would react to other Installers.

May be we can use this as a prerequisite?

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

Thank you Suhas Hegde,

I tried this approach and it is not working. I don't know why, here is the cmd output:

C:\Users\AHT>wmic product where "Name like '%EGR-Matz%'" call uninstall
(\\KLONDIKE\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_Product.IdentifyingNumber="{210D8279-DC76-4A47-A6C7
-04CAA3F30DEC}",Name="EGR-MatzGenerator",Version="1.1.0.100")->Uninstall() wird
ausgeführt
Methode wurde ausgeführt.
Ausgabeparameter:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
ReturnValue = 1603;
};

Sorry in german 😉

There is no Logfile created...
0 Kudos
Suhas_Hegde
Level 3

It looks like there is some issue when uninstalling since it is throwing 1603. Are you able to uninstall it manually?
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

Yes I am able to uninstall it if I call the UninstallString manually. Then the installation is unstalled in interactive mode. But since there is no Logfile created I am not able to find out what is causing the error 1603.

This is the uninstall string:
C:\ProgramData\{156FCD6A-BD76-4716-8E81-88EAC10346AA}\EGR-MatzGenerator_installer.exe

Maybe the message box at the beginning of the uninstallation ("Are you sure you want to uninstall") is causing the error because it is not answered. Is it possible somehow to add paramters to the wmic command? For instance I think it would uninstall successfull if I would be able to pass the silent parameter (/s).
0 Kudos
Suhas_Hegde
Level 3

That shouldn't be a problem when comes to uninstalling with WMIC. WMIC will override such parameters when uninstalling. Not sure what might be causing the problem. Maybe you can run a batch file which will trigger the uninstall string before the actual installation begins?
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

I got it working with a special .exe program running as prerequisite. The .exe detects and calls the UninstallString in the registry.
0 Kudos