cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aclayto87
Level 5

The version comparison failed. The setup will now terminate.

I had a project in Installshield 2010 (installscript), and i recently converted it to Installshield 2012 Spring. The converted installer still works on 32-bit machines, but throws the above error "The version comparison failed. The setup will now terminate." when run on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I have changed the project/Settings/Platforms to be "all platforms supported by Installshield". I tried running the install again and it still failed with the same message immediatly after starting the install. I also tried just adding Windows 7 to the supported platforms and that didnt help either. I am unable to get the debugger to jump into the program. I am thinking the error is happening due to a setting in IS 2012 Spring prior to accessing the code and that is why i am unable to debug.

If anyone knows what setting i am missing in order to allow my program to function in a 64 bit operating system enviroment please let me know! any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks
Alicia
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

That message is the IDS_IFX_ERROR_UPDATE_VERSION_COMPARE_FAILURE string, and part of the standard OnSetUpdateMode displays that if VerProductCompareVersions fails. Maybe add OnSetUpdateMode to your script, and examine the return value from VerProductCompareVersions to get more information?
0 Kudos
aclayto87
Level 5

thank you! that definitely lead to helping us discover what was wrong. it turned out a version of the installer was being left in the Programs and Features area in Control panel. This had never happened in the past and we realized with your help that the GUID was still there after install, preventing the install from running again - and preventing any helpful messages from displaying!

thanks again!
0 Kudos