cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkjang
Level 4

Switching language at install time?

I have a small product that needs to be installed on top of our main product.
Regardless of which language the OS is, the small product detects which language version of the main product was installed via registry setting.
How can I set that language info from the registry setting in the small product?
I created InstallScript CA to set "ProductLanguage": EX) MsiSetProperty(hMSI, "ProductLanguage", "1034");
And then, I made the CA immediate, and made it first action.
But, Install dialogs are still in English even though the main product was installed in Spanish.
The files that are installed appear to be correct language.
Is there a way to set the language during installation so that the installation dialogs are also correct language?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sairen
Level 7

I'm not an expert on multilanguage installers, but I think your problem has to do with transforms. Each of the string tables / languages becomes a transform (.mst) that is applied to the original installer by setup.exe before your installer is passed off to msiexec. So by the time you're able to set a property, it's already too late.

I can't think of any workaround other than providing an update package for each language, but hopefully someone else can jump in with something better.
0 Kudos