cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Earthshine
Level 4

Switching from Installscript installs to Installshield Basic MSI package installs

I wanted to ask if it is possible, that if I have an older version of a product I authored in InstallShield's InstallScript type project that is installed on a customer machine, then I release an updated version of that product using InstallShield Basic MSI, can I make the new version detect it and do an upgrade?

I was thinking that, from the MSI package, I could detect itand use a custom action to copy any required registry settings and files needed before calling the uninstaller for the older product, then install the new product.

Is this even possible? I am pretty new to MSI, and have made much progress recently, but we need a way to move our customers off of the old installers and get them into the new ones.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Shuttledude
Level 7

The first thing I would try is to search for the old app by looking for its registry keys. If it is found, use a custom action to fully uninstall it in the OnBegin function. Then simply proceed to install the new basic msi app, and set all registry keys in the new basic msi project. To set a key, pick a component (conponents view), expand the component and click on the Registry Data node. Right-click to add new keys, string values, etc.
0 Kudos
Earthshine
Level 4

Thanks so much for the response. I am off to try your suggestions.
0 Kudos