cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

SuiteSetProperty

Is there the equivalent of SuiteSetProperty for use in Basic MSI projects?
I need to pass an MSI packages InstallDir back to the Suite.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you specifically mean through PowerShell, then no we don't offer that today. However there are lots of other approaches for finding another product's INSTALLDIR, ranging from registry or component based system searches to various other custom action types.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There isn't anything in MSI packages that can be used to send data to or from a suite installation (except for properties passed to the MSI package when it is launched). InstallScript packages are a bit of a special case since we own the code for the engine and were able to build in such functionality.

Can you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish by passing an MSI package's INSTALLDIR back to a suite?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Josh
Here’s what I was trying to do:
Suppose I have a file ContactInformation.mht that I went to have as a replaceable file in the install package (so that the user can put the desired contact info into the package prior to installing).

InstallPackage contains ContactInformation.mht
Package1
Package2
Package3

I wanted to do one of the following:
1. Pass Package1’s INSTALLDIR back to the Suite so that I could copy ContactInformation.mht to the target with a Suite event after Package1 had been installed (target folder structure is not known until then).
or
2. Pass full path for ContactInformation.mht from Suite to Package1 so that Package1 could copy it.

In the end I put the ContactInformation.mht file in Package1 and copied with a CA. I would have preferred to have the file in the root.. but it looks like this will be OK... so the exercise may now somewhat academic.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Option 1 wouldn't really be possible since we don't have any way of integrating that tightly with MSI packages. Option 2 would be feasible through the use of an event in a suite (which could be a DLL, InstallScript, or PowerShell action) that locates the file in question and sets a property with the path the file was located at. Then this property could be passed to the MSI package through the package's command line in the suite project. The MSI package is then free to do what it wants with the property to handle working with that file (which will likely still involve working with a custom action in the MSI).
0 Kudos