cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eladef
Level 7

Suite project - OnEnd event executed Although setup was interupted

We are using InstallShield 2023 R1 for InstallShield suite project.
From what I see in doc the OnEnd event should be skipped in case the suite installation was interrupted in the middle but in real it doesn't.

To reproduce I run the suite setup and while packages are installed I click on the cancel button, after I confirm I get the setup interrupted message "The wizard was interrupted before..." but the OnEnd even is still executed.

1. Do you think it's a bug ?
2. Is there some property I can check that indicate the installation has completed successfully ?

Please help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @eladef ,

Since the event is added at end, i suggest you to add a condition to check the suite is installed successfully or not and based on the event will execute

You can also check the value for ISInstallStatus equal to IDS_INSTALL_SUCCESS to make sure it install successfully or not.

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield/helplibrary/SuitePropRef.htm?Highlight=ISInstallStatus

0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I already implemented your second suggestion of using ISInstallStatus and IDS_INSTALL_SUCCESS the problem with that solution is that it will not work on silent install since from what I checked the ISInstallStatus is set only when using UI.
As for your first suggestion, when installing our suite setup it doesn't create an entry under the add\remove programs so should the checking of Suite GUID still work ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @eladef ,

Check for another condition like file exists or registry exists based on any of your package added in your suite installer, that way you can have a condition available on both silent install as well as UI install. So please check for some registry condition or you can use the MSI package condition if you are using windows installer package.

0 Kudos

Hi

Your suggestion is possible but I would prefer to avoid it since it will require me to add condition to all of the packages included in the suite,
check only one package is not enough because it’s possible that user cancel the installation in the middle and some packages were installed and some didn’t.

Looking at help of OnEnd I see this:
“The OnEnd event launches its actions immediately before the end of a successful Suite/Advanced UI installation. If the end user cancels the Suite/Advanced UI installation or the installation encounters an error, the OnEnd event does not run.”
From my understanding this event should be skipped if user cancel the installation or these is some error, but it doesn’t skipped, so isn’t that a bug ?

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @eladef ,

Thanks for your update, 

If you have multiple package added, you can add the condition based on your last package, because the suite will install packages in order, 

If you last package installation is successful then the event will execute based on last package condition.

There are multiple was to run the event like suite ARP entry or package condition, or ISInstallStatus  or any registry added for  we can consider this more of an enhancement, 

If you would like to have this enhancement, I suggest you to raise an case with support.

Could you please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue if you would like to proceed with having this issue addressed? That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you. 

0 Kudos