cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sryan1977
Level 4

Suite Exit Condition -- Check Win 10

Jump to solution

I have a Suite installer where I am trying to add an Exit message if the user is not running the installer on a Windows 10 Operating System. I have done this previously with Windows 7 without issue but it seems to be failing with Windows 10. Has something changed? Or am I just doing something wrong?

With the check I currently have (see attached photo) the message pops up and the installer exits. 

FYI I am doing this with Installshield 2012 Spring edition.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

I resolved it by using the "Registry Comparison" workaround. Just took awhile to find the correct syntax.

For anyone else with this problem, see attachment for resolution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @sryan1977,

InstallShield officially supports Windows 10 from InstallShield 2015 SP1 onwards

More information can be found at the below link :
https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/New-Supported-Operating-Systems-for-Each-Version-of/ta-p/4374 

0 Kudos

So what do I do with 2012?? I'm sort of stuck with this version at the moment. Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
sryan1977
Level 4

NOTE: As a test, I tried flipping the check to raise the exit message for an OS Version of "-6.3". That should have raised it only for Windows 8.1 and below. However, when I ran it on Windows 10 the message appeared.

In searching for an answer I found a random Microsoft forum that mention the VersionNT for Windows10 was "603 which is what it's supposed to be for Windows 8.1. Could this be related to my issue?  The post was 5 yrs old so wasn't certain.

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

That is correct - Microsoft have not incremented the VersionNT value for windows 10 so it remains at 603 - which is the same as Windows 8.1

We have a great article which I created that explains this issue in more detail along with instructions on how to use a suite project to workaround the problem.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Identifying-Windows-10-with-MSI/ta-p/4166

0 Kudos

I read that one workaround would be to check the CurrentBuildNumber in the registry. I had the check look for build 9600 (Windows 8.1) and below but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions why? It should just be reading a registry value,  right?

0 Kudos

I resolved it by using the "Registry Comparison" workaround. Just took awhile to find the correct syntax.

For anyone else with this problem, see attachment for resolution.

0 Kudos