cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

String Table Cleanup...

Hi all,

I'm going through some controls and localizing them on dialogs which I have created. I see that I have an entry for the Next button for example with an ID of ID_STRING4. I want to switch the the InstallShield string IDS_NEXT, but what will happen to ID_STRING4. Will that be removed on build if not used elsewhere.

I thought that was a Tools -> Option to clean unused strings, but I may be thinking of directories.

How can I tell what other dialogs, or anything else for that matter, may be using this string?

I don't want to have unused stuff lying around in there. Or, do unused strings not make it to the compiled .msi?

Any info appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Unused strings do not make it into a build .msi as all references are substituted in place, and the table is dropped in the build process. However if you have any InstallScript custom actions, a copy of the full string table is built for use in the action. (Unfortunately it's not possible to detect if a string id is in use by a custom action because—in the extreme case—code could build up string id names at run time.) You can find all table-based uses of a string ID by selecting the menu item Edit > Find String ID in Project, or selecting them in the String Editor view and clicking the toolbar button with a looking glass over a folder "Search for Selected String Entries in Project".
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

OH, that string search feature is AWESOME!!!

THANKS FOR THAT INFO!!!!!!
0 Kudos