cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anjali_s
Level 3

Sql server installation through install shield

Hi..,
Is there any way to install sql server 2012 through install shield setup??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You may want to use the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express prerequisite included in the Redistributables view. Refer to the Adding InstallShield Prerequisites, Merge Modules, and Objects to Projects help topic on how to add prerequisites to your InstallShield project.
0 Kudos
anjali_s
Level 3

HI,
I tried this..Added Microsoft sqlserver 2012 sp1(x64). But when I installed the setup in another system, It first showed that pending sql server installation. after that the user have to follow & tick so many instructions. after that the set up is hanging. How can I correct this problem.?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Anjali,

Are you adding Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express SP1 as a feature prerequisite or a system prerequisite?
IF you are adding it as a feature prerequisite there is a known issue where Microsoft restarts the MSI engine after it checks for compatibility. This causes your installer to loose connection to the MSI handle and leads to the hangup you described.

As to the many pop-up commands and such, this is something you have to configure within the Prerequisite editor for SQL Server.
For instance the stock PRQ file from InstallShield assumes you are creating a default instance name, MSSQLSERVER. Many companies, such as mine, use a custom name, e.g., AMAZINGCHARTS, XMAP, MYFABULOUSCOMPANY, etc.

You will want to review the settings available to you from Microsoft for installing SQL Server on the command line. For instance you can set the command line parameters in the PRQ to use /QS for a silent install with a progress bar. This will not show any options for the UI.
Here is an example command line that I use for deploying SQL Server 2012 Express SP1.
/QS /ACTION=Install /HIDECONSOLE /INSTANCENAME=AMAZINGCHARTS /FEATURES=SQLENGINE /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /INDICATEPROGRESS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /TCPENABLED=1 /NPENABLED=1 /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SECURITYMODE=SQL /ASCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS /SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS /SAPWD=t6mp5Install0Pwd /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=false

Notice that I specify the INSTANCENAME, TCPENABLED, SAPWD, SECURITYMODE, etc.

Also note that I had to use a Suite / Advanced UI project type. The reason is that I wanted a singular setup where installing SQL Server was optional. The basic MSI project type does not allow for this without running into the hung install problem.

Hopefully this helps.

EDIT: Here is a link to the command line options for SQL Server. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259%28v=sql.110%29.aspx
0 Kudos