cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandeep_anantha
Level 4

Sql Server

Hi All,
I have an installer which needs MSSQL server as prerequiste. I selected it in Redistributables section and it installs fine. But the the sql server instance doesnt restart on rebooting the machine.

Commandline parameters are specified as below for normal and silent mode under Appliaction to Run tab of Edit Prerequsites.

/qn INSTANCENAME=APEOS SAPWD=pawd SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI ADDLOCAL=All SECURITYMODE=SQL SQLAUTOSTART=1 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

/qn INSTANCENAME=APEOS SAPWD=pawd SQLCOLLATION=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI ADDLOCAL=All SECURITYMODE=SQL SQLAUTOSTART=1 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0

Please suggest if I need to modify the commandline paarameters.

Regards,
Sandeep
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
nitsev
Level 6

First, check if the service is set to automatic in administrative tools/services.

Have you tried without the AUTOSTART parameter? According to this page it should be default 1 anyway so there should be no need to specify that parameter. I also install SQL Server Express as a prereq and I don't specify the SQLAUTOSTART. I have never had any problems with it not autostarting.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259(SQL.90).aspx#autostart

You might also want to check the SQL Server install logs, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(SQL.90).aspx
and maybe the event viewer to see whether there's a hint there why the service is not started.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Sandeep, if you are installing SQL Server 2005 the password you listed in your command line is not considered a "strong" password and if this is the actual password that you used, it is probably the reason SQL Server is not starting. The password for the built-in sa account must meet Microsofts' requirements for a "strong" password - otherwise SQL Server 2005 will not install correctly.

Tim
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

Tim,

I think that if the strong password would be the issue, SQL Server would not install at all. Now it appears that it does install but the services does not start.
0 Kudos