Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbaltazar
Level 6

Reverting merge module files possible?

I have an installation scenario that needs some community insight :confused:

Application A contains merge module (MSM) v1.0

Application B contains merge module (MSM) v1.2

A and B are completely different applications, A contains an older version of the merge module (files versioned 1.0) and B contains a newer version of the same merge module (files versioned 1.2).

Let's say I install Application A, then I install Application B. The merge module files are correctly updated to version 1.2. However, after I uninstall application B, the merge module files are still version 1.2. Is this the correct behavior? What I need is that if I uninstall the application cointaining the newer merge module, the older merge module files should be left behind...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
dan_galender
Level 10

What you are seeing is correct MSI behavior.

To get the behavior you are looking for, the installation of Product B would have had to have saved the older version of those files and the uninstallation would have to restore them--not a very good approach (especially when you consider what Rollback actions--in both directions--would have to do).

The best solution is for the files in the updated MergeModule to be backward compatible with the earlier versions so the product that contained the older versions of the files would be happy to be running with the newer versions.

The components for these files should have their shared Property set to "Yes" and the corresponding Component's Codes (GUIDs) should be the same.
0 Kudos