cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jassie
Level 5

Silent install

I used installshield 2008 to create an installer. which is working fine. then in order to create a silent installer for the installer i ran the setup.exe file from cmd prompt to generate a response file (setup.iss), which i copied to the same folder as the setup.exe files.

Now. i am tryign to run the silent install from cmd prompt using setup.exe /s, but it is not working, it does not even invoke the installer and exits.

Any clue on what i could be missing.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
heathlmorris
Level 4

try running your setup.exe with a /? you might need to use /Q
0 Kudos
coJeff
Level 6

Don't forget to include the response file in the path.

setup.exe /s /f1"{response file path}
0 Kudos
Jassie
Level 5

Ok, I maganed to get the silent install running but there is another problem.

my installer has two options.

Option 1. Where the user enters new data.
Option 2. Where is uses the dafault setting.

Option 1 works fine when installing silently.

However, when I run option 1, my silent installer exits with an error:
"-3 Required data not found in the Setup.iss file."
I compared the setup files for the two cases, they are same ofcourse except for the data for dialogs that are not included in case of default settings.

I also checked my code to see if i am reading and writing data of silent mode properly in this dialog. I am not sure what else could be missing.
0 Kudos
coJeff
Level 6

If you create the response file using option 2 does the install fail when doing it silently? I might be missing something but the error you are getting suggests the data the user selects/enters isn't getting in the response file. Did you check the response you created using option 1 and is the data you entered in the file? If so you might have to use the combination of

If mode=silentmode then
SilentReadData

Remember you will need a response file for each of the options you are giving your users.
0 Kudos
coJeff
Level 6

Chalk this one up to user error. The user being me. I had this if statement in place to skip the license wizard question.

if !(MODE=RECORDMODE) then

However in silent mode the yes no question would come up which would cause the installer to fail. The if-then statement I need was

if (!(MODE=RECORDMODE) && !(MODE=SILENTMODE)) then
0 Kudos
Jassie
Level 5

Yes, I compared both the response files created. They seem to be right. It only includes the right values for the dialogs that are traversed in case of Option 2 install. Also I checked the mode and the values I am writing, it is correct.
0 Kudos