cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gvarma
Level 7

Trap the Name if file being installed

Hi ,

is there a way to catch the name of the file that is being installed in MSI Installscript project?

Something similar to OnInstallingFile(szFile) which doesnt work in MSI Installscript project.

TIA
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Alas, I'm not sure there is a way; when MSI handles file transfer, the InstallFiles action is evidently one atomic operation, and (apart from the GUI action-data) there's not really a hook for getting inside that operation.

(As always, I hope someone will prove that I don't know what I'm talking about...)
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

RobertDickau wrote:
Alas, I'm not sure there is a way; when MSI handles file transfer, the InstallFiles action is evidently one atomic operation, and (apart from the GUI action-data) there's not really a hook for getting inside that operation.

(As always, I hope someone will prove that I don't know what I'm talking about...)

Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I am still hoping there is a way!!
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Gvarma wrote:
Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I am still hoping there is a way!!

Anyone out there could help??

TIA
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

If I understood the goal a little better, maybe I could help a bit more. The file must belong to acomponent so a customaction scheduled before the file copy with a conditional expression based on the action state of the component would fire just before the mass file copy. Is this really not granular enough?
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Christopher Painter wrote:
If I understood the goal a little better, maybe I could help a bit more. The file must belong to acomponent so a customaction scheduled before the file copy with a conditional expression based on the action state of the component would fire just before the mass file copy. Is this really not granular enough?

Chris,

I am actually trying to figure out a way to TRAP and RECORD name of the file that is being copied at the time of my product installation using MSI INSTALLSCRIPT project.

I am sorry I wasnt clear enough before, I hope this time you get the information you are looking for!!

TIA
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

RobertDickau wrote:

Robert,

Is there a way I could get a return message on weather all files from my installer have been installed successfully or NOT? and perhaps name of the file that failed to copy?

TIA
0 Kudos