cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Silent Install Doesn't Add Program to List of Installed Program for Uninstall

I'm confused by the difference when an installation program is run with the /s silent command line or no command line.

Our InstallScript handles it properly and the program is installed without the UI.

However, in one of our setups, we see the program listed in the Control Panel, Programs list of programs. With another setup, it's not. It's always listed if the setup is run without command lines.

What's controlling whether it's listed or not?

And if it's not listed, how do you uninstall it?

For the one that is listed, when we click on it to uninstall, it says "An error occurred while trying to uninstall ProgramName. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove ProgramName from the Programs and Features list?"
If we select Yes, it's gone from the list, but the files aren't uninstalled.

Thanks for your help and insight pointing me to what's controlling this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

It appears that the setup encounters some errors during silent installation. Try installing with logging enabled, and see what really happens.

For the another one, it is likely to encounter some errors. Again, please try installing and uninstall with logging enabled, and see what really happens.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

This sounds really promising.

What do I need to do to enable logging during installation? Is that a command line or do I need to create a new setup EXE?

Thanks.

TsungH wrote:
It appears that the setup encounters some errors during silent installation. Try installing with logging enabled, and see what really happens.

For the another one, it is likely to encounter some errors. Again, please try installing and uninstall with logging enabled, and see what really happens.
0 Kudos
JSClark
Level 6

Add to your command line:

setup.exe /v"/l*v c:\install.log"
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks. I generates the log file but can't tell what's wrong. I ran it with and without the /s silent mode and got the same results as before (the silent version doesn't uninstall correctly).

In both log files, it says "Installation operation completed successfully". Looking at the log files, I can't find what would cause this difference. I can't do a standard text comparison since many lines have a timestamp.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Thanks again,

JSClark wrote:
Add to your command line:

setup.exe /v"/l*v c:\install.log"
0 Kudos