cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thananjeyan_M
Level 6

Setup.exe launched and two Process is showing in Task manager

Hi

I'm using basic msi project to created a sample setup.exe file using InstallShield 2018 Premier. During installation it shows two process on same installer name in task manager. Another process is not launching the dialog but it remains until the first process (setup) completes. 

I don't why it is showing another setup.exe in task manager.   

Note: I have installShield 2012 and its working fine. It doesn't show two process in task manager.

Thanks,

Thananjeyan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
roman2
Level 7

Go to task manager and check property of both of setup.exe

Check file and folder, where is it started from.
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked both the porcess property for setup.exe in task manager and it shows one process from TEMP and another from source directory.

C:\InstallShield 2018 Projects\Sample\Product Configuration 1\Release 1\DiskImages\Disk1\Setup.exe  -> executed from here

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\{9EAA8D2A-D067-470D-AA32-F622AC0B24CF}\Setup.exe

Any idea to make this as single process.

0 Kudos

Please try to set in project setup.exe
Required Execution Level
to "Administrator" and check task manager.
0 Kudos

Hi Roman2,
Changed Execution Level
to "Administrator" and looks it creates two process.
Thanks,
Thananjeyan
0 Kudos

I have checked properties using IS2019 SP3:
"SourceDir"
"SETUPEXEDIR"
using custom actions.
Inspite of two setup.exe in task manager, both of them are showing the same original start folder, not the temp dir!
So, within CA we can be shure seeing the original setup.exe
0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Under very specific conditions a vulnerability was identified which causes Windows to load a different executable than was intended.

This vulnerability has been addressed in Installshield and is explained in more detail here:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Windows-loads-a-different-library-or-launches-a-different/ta-p/4739 

The behavior that you are seeing is due to changes in Installshield to address this vulnerability.
Installshield now extracts and clones the installer to a secure user location and the installation is run from there. This behavior does not exist in Installshield 2012.

0 Kudos

As per Shunt comment, Installshield fix the vulnerability issue and its default behavior is like this.  

0 Kudos