cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wardbill
Level 4

Setup Prerequisites and x64 OS

Hi Folks,

Can anyone give me direction on how to create an IS2008 Setup Prerequisite condition on Windows X64 operating systems in which "a file with a certain version exists" and the path is as follows:

[ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft SQL Server\100\KeyFile\1033\sqlncli_keyfile.dll

The problem is that [ProgramFilesFolder] evaluates to "C:\Program Files (x86)" on Winodws X64 and I the file I am looking for is in "C:\Program Files"

The supported path variables are [CommonFilesFolder], [ProgramFilesFolder], [SystemFolder], and [WindowsFolder] which doesn't help.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

As hinted in the thread on the IS2010 forum, prerequisites with conditions referring to files in 64-bit folders are newly supported in IS2010.
0 Kudos
wardbill
Level 4

Thanks Everyone,

Although I have posted under IS2010, I am actually using IS2008, without the option of upgrading at this time.

I have also posted under IS2008.

Billy
0 Kudos
wardbill
Level 4

As a follow up, I wanted to post my solution. As I indicated, [ProgramFiles64Folder] doesn't work on IS 2008 and I did not have the option of moving to IS 2010. After some trial and error, the following worked:

[ProgramFilesFolder]..\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\KeyFile\1033\sqlncli_keyfile.dll

Since [ProgramFilesFolder] evaluates to "Program Files (x86)" on 64 bit Windows OSs, backing up one directory and including the path from there seems to work fine.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
0 Kudos
calvin
Level 2

I've tried this option but fails with "error 1324: the path .. contains invalid character". I've used ..\ in [INSTALLDIR].
any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
wardbill
Level 4

I don't think you can use [INSTALLDIR] because, at the prereq run time, [INSTALLDIR] has not been defined yet. You need to use one of the four documented paths:

[CommonFilesFolder]
[ProgramFilesFolder]
[SystemFolder]
or
[WindowsFolder]

if you are looking for a specific file on the machine. Alternatively, you can use a registry entry (if present) to set the path of the file you are looking for. See the "Conditions Tab InstallShield 2008 » Setup Prerequisite Editor" reference for further info.
0 Kudos